At Sycamore Canyon's computer labs, students are introduced to and work with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point. They are taught how to research reports, as well as keyboarding skills. In addition, students get to use Success Maker and Next Generation (reading and math skills programs).
Sycamore Canyon has two computer labs:
- Elementary: Room 22
- Middle Grade: Room 51
Elementary Computer Lab
- Specialists: Sharon Hanley and Donielle Borghardt
- Students visit the computer lab at minimum 30 minutes per week as part of their grade level’s specialist instruction.
- Many classes reserve other times throughout the week to take their classes into the lab to complete word processing activities or to work on Success Maker.
Middle School Computer Lab
- Sycamore Tech Academy ~ taught by Kimberly Retan
- In this elective, multiple exploratories are taught through technology applications.
- 6th graders: trimester introductory course
- 7th/8th graders: year-long course that corresponds with NPHS D.A.T.A. program
- Teachers may also reserve time throughout the week for their classes to work on research reports, word processing documents, and Power Point projects.
Success Maker & Next Generation
- Success Maker and Next Generation are digital resources that provides instruction at a student’s individual math and reading level.
- Opportunities for before-school intervention via Success Maker are offered Tu/Th for grades 4th through 5th and W/F for grades K through 3rd.
- Both programs are used in classrooms and in the lab to enrich and extend students’ abilities.